Founded by Niomi Smart, Smart Skin was born from a need to create a space that encourages smart choices, celebrates passion and allows people to take the time to reconnect with themselves during their skin care ritual.
We have a passion for doing better by our planet without compromising on high efficacy formulas. We work hard to find smarter solutions wherever possible throughout our design and manufacturing processes.
Our mission is to build a community of like-minded people to share our ideas and discoveries with, aiming to provide educational resources for those who wish to expand their knowledge into ethical beauty and wellbeing.
VEGAN & CRUELTY FREE
All of our formulas are Vegan and Cruelty Free, always. We work hard to ensure this ethos is maintained throughout all of our practices at Smart Skin.
We source far and wide for manufacturing partners who share our vision for creating skincare and beauty products that are kinder to ourselves and to our planet. As such, Smart Skin only commissions suppliers who endeavour to work towards a more sustainable way of working. A few of the requirements we look for when sourcing our suppliers:
- COSMOS certified
- FSC certified
- Cruelty Free
- Investment into reducing their carbon footprint
- Investment into sustainable manufacturing initiatives
- Enthusiastic about positive social and environmental change through beauty
- UK based as a first choice to reduce transport distances and carbon footprint
Better practices by them, enables better practices by us.
Smart Skin is a COSMOS certified brand. COSMOS is about provenance and transparency, bringing what is inside the bottle to life. It’s being honest about who you are, what you value and what you stand for. Brands that bear the COSMOS symbol are proud to show you what they’re made of. It is a sign of quality, integrity and trust.
Achieving the COSMOS certification is a long (but very worthwhile!) process because each and every ingredient is analysed and approved by COSMOS representatives. We’re honoured to carry the COSMOS license and aim to have all products within the Smart Skin range COSMOS certified by 2021.
We use FSC card for all of our boxes, which we chose to leave uncoated so as to reduce the number of processes during production. This means the card used on Smart Skin boxes is sourced from trees grown in responsible forests.
FSC stands for the Forest Stewardship Council, their mission is to promote environmentally appropriate, socially beneficial and economically viable management of the world’s forests. The FSC is recognised by WWF as the “hallmark of responsible forest management”.
A few of the rules for responsible forest management:
1. Comply with all applicable laws, regulations and nationally-ratified international treaties, conventions and agreements. Maintain or enhance the social and economic wellbeing of workers.
2. Maintain or enhance the social and economic wellbeing of workers.
3. Identify and uphold Indigenous Peoples’ legal and customary rights of ownership, use and management of land, territories and resources affected by management activities.
4. Contribute to maintaining or enhancing the social and economic wellbeing of local communities.
5. Maintain, conserve and/or restore ecosystem services and environmental values of the Management Unit, and shall avoid, repair or mitigate negative environmental
SUSTAINABLE PALM OIL (RSPO)
- A Global Standard for Sustainable Palm Oil
The Smart Skin team thought long and hard about whether or not to include Palm Oil into our Face Oil. We researched, we listened, and we learned. In the end, after digging deep into this ingredient, we learnt the following:
- Palm Oil is an extremely efficient crop, meaning we can yield up to 10 times the amount of palm oil per area of land compared to coconut oil, for example.
- It is also reported that palm oil trees do not require as many pesticides or fertilisers to be used when growing them, compared to other alternative oils.
- The palm oil industry offers jobs to over 25 million people living in poverty in developing countries.
In the end, we understood that as long as RSPO (Responsibly Sourced Palm Oil) certified palm oil is used, we could actually make a positive ethical impact. The RSPO has developed a set of environmental and social criteria which companies must comply with in order to produce Certified Sustainable Palm Oil (CSPO). When they are properly applied, these criteria can help to minimise the negative impact of palm oil cultivation on the environment and communities in palm oil-producing regions.
A LITTLE MORE ON OUR PACKAGING CHOICES...
Nearly 75% of all aluminium ever produced is still in use today. We chose to use Aluminium tubes for three out of the first four products from Smart Skin, this reduced the amount of plastic we use by 90% in our tubed products - we think that's pretty cool.
Aluminium is a recycled and recyclable, closed loop material, closed loop and we loved how sustainable it is compared to traditional plastics. Currently our caps are PP which is a widely recycled material, although the beauty industry is looking for plastic alternatives to tube caps, so we hope to be able to update you on this as developments progress.