So, you're trying Veganuary and you'd like it to reflect in your skincare too? Here's nine non Vegan ingredients to watch out for when purchasing new products.
1. Shellac - it's a resin created using lac bugs. Often found in nail varnish.
2. Lanolin - this is the grease found in sheep's coats. It's conditioning and therefore found in lip balms as well as hair and nail products!
3. Honey - well known to be from bees, but a sneaky ingredient in some products!
4. Squalene - shark's liver oil. Beneficial in skincare as it's super moisturising, but there's always a vegan alternative!
5. Beeswax - nabbed from honeycomb and used in balms and cleansers etc.
6. Ambergris - unbelievably, this is whale sick! It's used to make the scent in perfume last longer.
7. Carmine - a red colourant made from cochineal bugs. Often in make up and lip products.
8. Guanine - derivative from fish scales and used in shampoos etc to give a shimmery finish.
9. Gelatine - another well known one, often used to give products a jelly like texture.
What's your favourite vegan beauty product?
The Smart Skin team x